12 years old and working...

Alberta will now let 12 year olds work.

Before I comment any further I should make it clear: I broke the law when I was 12. I worked for a pizza shop when I hit 12, part time, and under the table for way below the minimum wage. I needed cash, and no it wasn't a sweat shop, and no I wasn't intimidated by my boss into anything. He was a nice guy, and I only have good memories of him. Thinking back, I was incredibily fortunate that I found someone like him that was willing to pay me under the table and take the chance.

I remember at the time wondering what type of idiot made up a law that wouldn't let people my own age work? I can understand you don't want 4 year olds running around doing back breaking labour but this is one extreme I've never been able to explain.

People should get over this. There is a whole underground economy, where people like me used to dwell and work without the permission of the state. Some 12 year olds are always going to want to work no matter what law they pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment