Comartin Banned

MP Joe Comartin has been barred from being allowed to participate in his local Church's activities for his support of Same Sex Marriage:
Comartin had said he hoped that one day the Catholic Church would recognize same-sex marriages, noting the issue is about love and all couples being treated equally.

"My recent comments expressed my sincere hope that someday the leadership of the Catholic Church would embrace a fuller sense of inclusion," he said in a release after hearing of Fabbro's letter.

He added that "the actions of Bishop Fabbro have deeply hurt and saddened myself and my family."

I've tried not to reveal to much of myself in this blog. I guess I'm about to throw that out the window.

I used to have this image in my mind of what a Christian was. I can remember the image like it was yesterday. It was this middle aged liberated woman trying to act like she was twenty years younger than she was, talking all the time about "peace" and "love"... Christianity to me was some sort of weird pleasure fest that I saw no meaning in whatsoever. Everything was about loving other people. No hurt. No pain. Everything was a like surreal type of existence that wasn't the reality I was living everyday. No emphasis on Christ. No emphasis on God. Everything was "love."

As with most stereotypes, I eventually found out how wrong that was. But MP Joe Comartin is doing his best to spread that perception of Christianity in that quote above.

Life is pain. Christ told his disciples to take up his cross. That didn't mean it would be the end of pain. His disciples knew very well what that meant. It meant that our burdens, our pain, our weaknesses, have to be taken up and embraced the way he embraced his cross. He was showing us the way, and from that we derive joy. It's a deeper joy - and not some self induced druken stupor.

He told us to love each other. But that isn't a meaningless love. It isn't a mindless love. It isn't just neurons firing off in your brain or hormones building up in your body. It's true love. True love means to show loyalty, courage, honour, fidelity, fellowship, commitment, and devotion. It isn't someone looking beautifull, or being "inclusive," or treating people "equally." Some of the people that I've felt truly loved by are those that haven't treated me equally, and haven't been inclusive when I needed to be taught a lesson. You may not like someone at that particular moment, but you still love them - as strange as that seems.

Either way Comartin is doing a great diservice by making statements like that one above. Christianity isn't all about "love." Christianity is all about Christ. Christ told us to love. And the love Christ was talking about isn't the same one Comartin is talking about as far as I'm concerned. And If I'm wrong, he should be more careful as to how what he says comes across.

Tip o' the hat to NealeNews.

No comments:

Post a Comment