Glad to be Intolerant

"Intolerant"

That word gets used often enough. Usually it's meant to be something negative to say about someone. Usually it's meant to say that a person is some bare knuckle dragging ape that can't keep an open mind.

Then infamous rapist, and murderer, Karla Homolka gets released, and stops by the CBC to offer an interview:
Ms. Homolka appears to be eager to be accepted into Quebec society, which she has repeatedly said she considers more tolerant than the rest of Canada. She insisted on having her recent court hearings in French, and chose a French-language media outlet to make her first public pronouncements because she considers anglophones more hostile to her, she said.

If being intolerant means being revolted with the thought of her unspeakable crimes, than I guess you can chalk me up to being one proud intolerant person.

The real reason why she wants to stay in Quebec is because the court case didn't get as much attention there as it did in the rest of the country. If Quebequers only knew more about her they would be equally outraged.

Karla isn't repentant. To me it sounds like she's putting up a mask. She says she's sorry for her crimes. Then she starts talking about how all those that are revolted by her crimes are "intolerant."

"Intolerant?..." Now I wonder if the left is going to keep on using that word to describe anyone who disagrees with them, now that Karla Homolka seems to love that word.
"I didn't initiate my offences. I was a follower," she said of her past crimes, insisting that she is no longer a danger to society.

If you are truly sorry for what you did, stop blaming other people, and start accepting the blame yourself. You made the choice. You may have only followed, but you still had that choice. Part of repentance is accepting culpability.

Only God and Karla Homolka really know if she is truly sorry for what she did. Either way I'm proud to say that I am intolerant of rape. I'm intolerant of murder. And I'm intolerant of lies. And I honestly hope that I never become tolerant on any of those issues.

Then I think... There are a whole wack of people called intolerant today... The Catholic Church is called intolerant. People against SSM are called intolerant. Christians are called intolerant. The west is called intolerant. Pro-lifers are called intolerant... From the mouth of a rapist is it possible we have learned the true meaning of that word?

On a Another Note:
I can't help but compare Karla Homolka to Alessandro Serenelli who attempted to rape and then killed St. Maria Goretti. Allessandro converted in prison. After serving 30 years in prison he showed up on the doorstep of Maria's mother to beg for forgiveness. She not only forgave him, but legally adopted him as her son. He spent the rest of life living in a religious order. It was his testimony that lead to Maria's canonization. I heard somewhere that he was haunted for the rest of his life with the thought that he had killed a saint. A far cry from Karla Homolka.

1 comment:

  1. I must say that I'm proud to be "intolerant" on this issue as well. I'm also apparently
    "intolerant" because I support the traditional definition of marriage, while still supporting equal rights for same sex couples. Apparently, I'm just intolerant all the way around ;)

    ReplyDelete