That was week one...

Harper got through one week of governing.

Well, I guess you could say he survived.

Harper once said that the practice of floor crossing "causes cynicism." I agree. And this Emerson ordeal has made me even more cynical than I already am. I still trust Harper. I just don't trust him like I did before. He's going to have earn a little bit of that back with me by actually doing what he said he will do.

Funny thing is in all the brouhaha I've been wondering if I were a confidant for Harper what I would advise him to do given what he's done. Unfortunately I would tell him to do nothing.

It's a mistake. Doing anything will just confirm that mistake. And the damage has already been done. Harper can't magically undo these appointments without undo damage to Government.

That means do nothing. Let this thing blow over. Though I would call a caucus meeting and I would do two things: assure MPs that Senate elections would come in the coming year, and that any future "entries" into caucus would require a vote by caucus.

Oh, and I would tell Harper something else: watch your back. Emerson is not to be trusted. He shouldn't even be in those caucus meetings. The fact that he has a government portfolio has to be somehow insulated from the rest of the party apparatus. He isn't a supporter of Harper's or anyone else. Emerson is only there for himself, although I'm sure he tells himself otherwise.

That's my two cents anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment