I got tagged...

Ya, I know I got book tagged by Robot Guy. This is post where you find out how much of a nerd I really am.

The Number of Books I own

Too many. I'm going to say about 60 to 70 good books lying around in my room and the surrounding area. That is not including Engineering textbooks that I've collected over the years or any of the books I have lying around in the basement. That and losts of crap in the form of newspaper articles and some - ahum - writting I've done myself but thought it was too stupid for widespread consumption.

I got some books that I stopped reading when I went back to school this summer term after spending a term on co-op. Reading on school terms is not realistic. Well not recreation reading. The same goes with writting. The only time I ever get is during co-op terms.

The Last Book I bought

This is tough because I don't keep a mental note of this kind of useless info. The last books I bought were Robert A. Heinlein's The Green Hills of Earth. My sis gave me a copy of Bill Clinton's "My Life." I haven't opened it yet because I'm waiting for PG rated version to come out. And somewhere sometime I bought Dune:The Battle of Corrin. Project Orion is somwhere in the pile beside my desk too.

The Last book I read

The Green Hills of Earth... almost. I'm on the last story "Logic of Empire." It's not as good as the rest of the shorts in the book. I'm 2/3rd's done Battle of Corrin. I'm anxious to find out how the legendary blood few starts between the Harkonen and the Artreides but that'll have to wait for my next work term.

The last actual book I read in full was "Target Switzerland." It's all about armed Swiss neutrality in WWII. It was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be.

Five Books that Mean A Lot to Me

1) Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein- For making me believe that good Science Fiction is still out there that I haven't read yet. It spoke a lot to me especially at the point I was in my life.

2) The Moon is A Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein - I don't want to mention Heinlein twice but really it was an unbelievale book. Something about Heinlein's writting made me identify so much with the characters. I really hope they don't screw up the movie adaptation.

3) The Law by Frederick Bastiat - It was originally printed as a pamphlet in the 1840's. It was only reprinted in a small paperback book form a few years ago. Bastiat's ideals, and his conclusions on freedom and the state are not only right on they are prophetic for someone from his time.

4) Anthem By Ayn Rand - I would place this one higher on the list but I've always thought that Rand was a little long winded.

5) The Complete Works of William Shakespeare - I don't know if I can mention this one as a book but I am. I used to be able to read old english so well. I could understand it better than ever at one point. In highschool I never did well in English. When I started to read Shakespeare's other plays besides the one's that appeal to the Liberal Artsy Farsty Navel Gazing crowd that dominates English Literature studies, I realized that Shakespeare was no more than an older version of Quentin Tarantino. Shakespeare loved to entertain. He loved to shock his audience. I finally have an appreciation for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment