Not About Science

Dan Schrimpsher's latest post hits the nail on the head when it comes to space exploration and NASA:
Space Exploration/Colonization isn't about science. Exploring the new world wasn't about science. Opening the west wasn't about science. Marco Polo wasn't about science. Science is wonderful. Engineering is even better. Giving us room to roam is the best of all.

No kidding. We can dabble in science all we want to, but we shouldn't fool ourselves - it brings us no closer towards expanding out in the solar system. Maybe I should rephrase - much of the science being done won't mean anything.
How many people would give up the modern conveniences we are so proud of to work as a miner on the moon. I sure would. Most people I know would. Not everyone, but a lot of people. What does that tell you about priorities. How many people in the 18th and 19th century gave up the conveniences of the east coast to break new ground out west?

I would give it up. Give it up in a second. Nanosecond. Microsecond. The chance to start a fresh new society on another world leaving behind everything bad from this one? You bet.

And then he leaves off with this quote:
"NASA is not about the 'Adventure of Human Space Exploration,' we are in the deadly serious business of saving the species. All Human Exploration's bottom line is about preserving our species over the long haul."
Astronaut John Young,"The Big Picture"

Amazing post.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what this has to do with space exploration. Maybe you meant this for the Abortion post I made before this one.

    I went to your site. I guess you wanted to disgust and offend me. You might want to try harder because I've seen much worse.

    First of all if you look at my profile I'm 23 and not 104 like you assume most people that are pro-life are.

    Maybe you would be better to try intelligent debate to prove your point instead of perpetuating stereotypes and making fun of other people's faiths.

    ReplyDelete