Laytonisms...

Watched part of the debate last night. The most troubling moment for me came when the email was read of a corrections officer that said something like it was his observation that most crime is the cause of poverty...

Everyone else's response was typical. Layton did something unexpected. He managed to find a new way to annoy me with his leftism with this response: "That just makes sense... It just passes that test..."(Or something like that)

Look, many criminal may be impoverished. No doubt poverty, and a variety of other social issues can cause people to become criminals...

It is important to have compassion for the poor. But it's another thing to excuse criminal behaviour. Criminals, afterall, chose to be criminals.

And I'm sorry, but was Karla Homolka or Paul Bernardo poor? No, not as far as I know. So how does that "make sense" and "passes that test?"

It doesn't. So, although I respect Layton for his honesty, we're gonna have to agree to disagree. And I'm gonna chalk this up to just another Laytonism...

We have to be careful as a society when we assign causes to crime. The end result is that we are shifting the blame off of criminals themselves. I know I've had a good life. But I've had my experience of temptation myself. But even Rich kids become Killers and thugs very easily - not that I'm rich at all.

In the end it's a choice. Don't excuse. Don't apologize. The unfortunate result of that is that criminals themselves start to believe that propaganda... And how could a criminal ever feel remorsefull for a crime when they don't believe they were at fault for having committed that crime?

2 comments:

  1. I just came up with this:

    http://langhjelm.blogspot.com/2005/12/stop-martin.html

    Feel free to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:22 AM

    Speaking of the NDP and crime, check this out:

    http://www.devinbaines.com/?q=node/34

    What would Ed Broadbent say about this going on in his old riding?

    H/T: Kate at Small Dead Animals

    ReplyDelete