Forgot to mention

I've gotten some flak from some for not mentioning this other piece on Canada's contribution to spaceflight in terms of research on Space Farms.

Let me frank about this. I've never really believed this was important. I don't know what people are thinking sometimes. Food and oxygen aren't heavily expensive. They don't represent a barrier to spaceflight. Space stations, particularly in low earth orbit, and I would argue even on a Lunar settlement, could be provided oxygen and food from eath at a reasonable price if the cost per pound of chemical rockets reduces enough that Lunar settlements and commercial space stations become feasible in the first place.

What I can see happening is space farms eventually popping up in orbit after years of a settlement being supplied resources from home. These space farms could produce the food and oxygen needed at a fraction of the price, and hence it would become profitable.

Unless the cost of chemical rockets go down dramatically the costs of food and oxygen are insignificant. In other words the Space Farming from the University of Guelph here in Canada doesn't impress me.

No comments:

Post a Comment